The Qatar Law Forum brings together leaders in law from around the world. Held under the patronage of His Highness the Emir of the State of Qatar, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani, the Forum provides an unparalleled opportunity to debate the global commitment to the Rule of Law.
The first Forum in Doha in 2009 drew leading judicial figures including 12 serving Chief Justices, the President of the International Criminal Court and the President of the European Court of Human Rights, as well as leading academics, regulators, central bankers and general counsel from across the globe. The Forum in May 2012 similarly brought together in Doha leaders in law from over 60 countries. Events started with an international gathering of young lawyers.
CHIEF JUSTICE OF RWANDA
Following on from his participation at the Chief Justices session of the Qatar Law Forum in Doha in May 2012, Professor Sam Rugege (Chief Justice of Rwanda) gave a key note speech in London on 28 February 2013 at the London Muslim Centre. Under the banner of Rwanda Past, Present and Future he addressed the topic of judicial reform, public confidence and the Rule of Law in Rwanda. The event was attended by a wide section of the legal profession, judiciary, and wider community. Whilst in the UK, Professor Rugege had various meetings with senior members of the judiciary, including the Chief Justice of England & Wales and President of the UK Supreme Court. Particular thanks are due Allen & Overy and COMBAR for their support, and to co-organisers Mizan Abdulrouf and Chris Marshall. Available for download:
- The event flyer
- Text of the Chief Justice’s speech
- A record of the live tweeting of the speech
- Photos on our Flickr site
- News stories including an article on Halsbury’s Exchange.
- The official Rwanda Judiciary report on the visit.
MANSION HOUSE SYMPOSIUM
17 December 2012: Symposium on anti-corruption and the rule of law convened in London by the Qatar Law Forum, on the occasion of visit of H.E Dr. Ali Bin Fetais Al Marri, Attorney General of Qatar. Available for download:
- The symposium agenda
- Photos on Flickr
- News release
- Twitter feed of dialogue live from the event
- Report by James Wilson at Halsbury’s Law Exchange
MAY 2012 FORUM
The second Qatar Law Forum in Doha was held in May 2012. Information available includes:
- Daily newsletter published by LexisNexis with Rapporteur reports on each session.
- Photos from the day on our Flickr photos feed.
- Video clips live from the conference floor on the video page.
- Additional videos on our YouTube channel.
- Speeches, papers & communiqués on the Documents page.
- Our Twitter feed live from the conference floor.
- Additional news coverage and press releases on our News page.
Legal Research Partner: